Have you ever gone on a cruise? If you have yet to experience one of the best ways to travel, then you probably do not know, or heard very little of the two types: River Cruising and Ocean Cruising. Ocean cruising—or the more widely known form of cruising—has monopolized the industry for so many years until the advent of river cruising. As the name suggests, river cruises have itineraries that explore narrower water forms, and most of the time uses smaller ships.
These two ways to cruise may seem so different, yet each of them offers unique benefits. If you have not yet decided what type of cruise to go for, then you’re in luck because we listed down the benefits of each for you!
Benefits of booking a river cruise:
1. Routes that are rich in culture and history. One of the many perks of going for a river cruise, especially if you are a history buff, is that the pit stops will surely deposit a lot of knowledge in your memory bank. In the past, people used rivers as their main port for traveling and for trading, so expect to see and explore a lot of interesting landmarks.
2. More exclusive. Because of their size, river cruise ships cannot accommodate as many people as ocean cruises normally would, resulting to a more intimate experience. The best part? You don’t have to spend a lot of time disembarking and going back up because the ship is not too crowded!
3. You are unlikely to get motion sickness. Are you the type who gets dizzy when you travel by water? Then river cruising is just right for you. There are no waves, so no shaky rides as well. Also, if you have never gone on a cruise before, you might want to do river cruising first where the sight of land is always present. Going for an ocean cruise and seeing nothing but the blue water might freak you out a bit!
Benefits of booking an ocean cruise:
1. Get to explore more options on accommodation, travel dates, and all-inclusive deals. As mentioned before, ocean cruising has been around for quite a while so a lot of travel agencies offer big discounts. The fact that there’s a myriad of options also makes booking more convenient because of more flexible lodging options and travel dates.
2. Top-of- the-line amenities and facilities. The ships that are used for ocean cruises are usually big ones and with these big ships come sophisticated amenities and facilities like pools, mini-sporting centers, saunas, and a lot more.
3. Book cabins like you are booking hotel rooms. We were not joking when we said that ocean cruises are huge! In fact, they are so huge that there are cabins as big as suite rooms in a hotel. If you are the type of traveler who likes to go all out in terms of accommodation, then this option is for you. On the other hand, if you like booking smaller and cost-efficient rooms, then it’s not a problem either because ocean cruises offer that option, too!